I actually got this recipe from the food network's show, Down Home with the Neelys, but as with any great recipe you want to customize it and make it your own. For my version of the recipe I added, fresh jalapeno pepper for an extra kick. Everyone love Spinach artichoke dip. It's like the most popular appetizer ever! Naturally, I had to have this as an appetizer at my house warming party. It's really quick and easy to make but it tastes so good.
Because I was making this for a dinner party I doubled all of the ingredients but you can just make it as is.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 Jalapeno pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 (8-ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (recommended: Rotel)
- 1 cup shredded 4 cheese blend (I used a Mexican blend and it worked really well)
- Tortilla chips
1.Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it foams, add the shallot and garlic, and saute until softened, for about 3 minutes.
2. Then, Add the flour and cook while stirring until it becomes a light blonde color.
3. Slowly stir in the heavy cream, and the drained spinach, and simmer until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Lastly, Stir in the artichoke hearts, tomatoes, jalapenos and cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. Remove to a serving bowl and serve with tortilla chips.